Dr. Walt Lowe - CV
Walter R. Lowe, M.D.
Edward T. Smith Professor & Chair
Chairman & Professor Department of Orthopaedic Surgery — University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Medical Director — Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine Institute
Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery — Memorial Hermann Hospital - Texas Medical Center & LBJ Hospital Houston
Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine Institute
6400 Fannin, Suite 1700
Houston, TX 77030
TEL: (713) 486-6540
1975 - 1979 Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
Degree - Bachelor of Science
1979 - 1983 University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX
1983 - 1984 Rotating Internship, John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, TX
1984 - 1988 Orthopaedic Residency, Tarrant County Affiliated Hospitals, Fort Worth, TX
1990 - 1991 Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Inglewood, CA
CURRENT ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS:
08/2009 - Present
Edward T. Smith Professor & Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Texas Health Heath Science Center Medical School
08/2009 - Present
Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery, Memorial Hermann Hospital - Texas Medical Center and Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital
08/2009 - Present
Clinical Associate Professor Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
01/2003 - 08/2009
Associate Professor, Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
09/2001 - 01/2009
Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
06/2003 - Present
Fellowship Director, Baylor College of Medicine, Section of Sports Medicine, Chief of Sports Medicine Section
01/2007 - Present
Co-Medical Director of the Memorial Hermann Sports Medicine Institute
CURRENT SPORTS TEAM AFFILIATIONS:
2001 - Present
Houston Texans, National Football League, Head Team Physician
2001 - 2003, 2009 - Present
Houston Rockets, National Basketball Association, Head Team Physician
1993 - Present
University of Houston, National Association of Collegiate Athletics, Head Team Physician
North Shore High School, Team Physician
B.F. Terry High School (Rosenberg, TX), Team Physician
Previous Team Affiliations - Houston Comets, WNBA and Houston Oilers, NFL
American Board Orthopedic Surgery, July 1990, Re-Certified, 2002
Subspecialty in Sports Medicine, 11/2007
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
Harris County Medical Society, Houston Orthopaedic Society, Consultant to NASA Space Clinic
Texas Medical Society
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Fellow, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine – Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine – Fellow, NBA Team Physicians Society, NFL Team Physicians Society, Association of Professional Team Physicians, American Medical Association, Mid-America Orthopaedic Society
CURRENT TEACHING RESPONSIBILITIES:
Dr. Walter Lowe participates with the residents and fellows in the sports medicine rotation. This rotation provides an excellent opportunity for the residents and fellows to experience a significant amount of shoulder and knee arthroscopy. The rotation also includes the coverage of college athletes at Rice University, and the ability to cover several high school athletic events. Through Dr. Walter Lowe, the residents have exposure to the state-of-the-art Sports Medicine Institute at MHHS-TMC, an excellent facility in which high school, college and professional athletes are treated for various sports-related problems.
- Shah, A, McCulloch, P, Lowe, WR: Failure Rates of Achilles Tendon Allograft in Primary Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.” Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. May, 2010; 26 (5): 667-674.
- Lui, X, Tingle T, Lintner, DM, Lowe WR, Zhai, QJ, Luo, Z-P.: “Differences in Collagen Gene Expression in Male and Female Anterior Cruciate ligament Injured Athletes.” Biol Sport2009; 26(3):255-261
- Murray PJ, Lowe WR: “Achilles allograft reconstruction of a chronic complete proximal hamstring rupture.” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. Nov 26 2008.
- Crawford M, Noble P, Alexander J, Vega C, Thompson M, Lowe WR: ”The Impact of Labral Tears on the Stability of the Hip Joint.” 2007 Stinchfield Award winner Clinical Ortho Relate Res. Dec 2007; 465: 16-22.
- Guelich D, Lowe WR, Wilson J: “The Routine Culture of Allograft Tissue in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.” American Journal of Sports Medicine Sept 2007; 35 (9): 1495-9. Epub April 2007.
- Chen CH, Liu X, Yeh ML, Huang MH, Zhai Q, LoweWR, Lintner DM, Luo ZP: “Pathological Changes of Human Ligament After Complete Mechanical Uploading.” American Journal of Physical Medical and Rehabilitation April 2007 86 (4): 282-9.
- Lowe WR, Craft J, Milos S: “Keyhole Techniques for Tenodesis of the Biceps Tendon.” Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine Volume 15, Issue 1, January 2007, pages 7-9.
- Luo ZP, Chen CH, Liu X, Lintner D, Lowe WR, Zhai QJ: “Human Anterior Cruciate Ligament Remodeling After Stress Deprivation – A Histological Evaluation.” Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, October 2006.
- Luo ZP, Chen CH, Liu X, Lintner D, Lowe WR, Zhai QJ: “Human Anterior Cruciate Ligament Remodeling After Stress Deprivation – A Histological Evaluation.” The Knee March 2006.
- Keefe D, Lowe WR: “Symptomatic Superior Labral Anterior Posterior Lesion With Absence of the Long Head of the Biceps Tendon: A Case Report.” Published: The American Journal of Sports Medicine Vol. 33, No.11, 2005.
- DiRaimondo C, Alexander J, Noble P, Lowe WR, Lintner D: “A Biomechanical Comparison of Repair Techniques for Type II SLAP Lesions.” Published: The American Journal of Sports Medicine Vol.32, No. 3, 2004: p 727-733.
- Alrowayeh, HN, Sabbahi, MA; Paine, R; Lowe, WR: “Does Reflex Inhibition Change with ACL Reconstruction?” Published: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Vol. 35, No. 5, May, 2003: p S306.
- Lowe WR, Maffet M: “Superior Labral Injuries.” Published: DeLee & Drez’s Orthopaedic Sport Medicine: Principles & PracticeVol. 1, 2nd Ed. (December), 2002: Chapter 21, Section K, p 1046-1064.
- Bartz R, Bryan W, Lowe WR: “Posterior Elbow Impingment.” Published: Operative Techniques in Sports MedicineVol. 9, No. 4 (October), 2001: p 245-252.
- Conway J, Lowe WR: “Elbow Medial Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction.” Published: Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine Vol. 9, No. 4 (October), 2001: pp196-204.
- Frazier, B; Divine, J; Braunreiter, D; Lowe, WR: “Hemoptysis – Collegiate Football Player” Published: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise Vol. 33, No. 5, May, 2001: p S180.
- Lowe, W.R., Bailie D, Moseley J: “Surgical Anatomy of the Posterior Shoulder: Effects of Arm Position and Anterior-Inferior Capsular Shift.” Published: American Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Aug 1999; 8(4): 30713.
- Stadelmaier D, Lowe WR, Ilahi O, Noble P, Kohl III H: “Cyclic Pull-Out Strength of Soft Tissue Interference Screws for Fixation of Hamstring Tendons: Influence of Screw Length.” Published: American Journal of Sports Medicine - 1999.
- Paine R, Johnson R, Lowe W. “Surgical Management of the Patellofemoral Joint”. Sports Physical Therapy Section Home Study Course. Current Concepts on the Rehabilitation of the Knee of the Athlete. Chapter 6, 1998.
- St. Luke’s Orthopaedic Symposium, Chairman, Houston, TX, April 11-12, 2008.
- BREG’s 10th Annual Educational Symposium, Kananaskis Village, Alberta, Canada. July 11, 2007.
- “Emerging Techniques in ACL reconstruction graft choices, Update on SLAP Repair, and Comprehensive Physical Examination of the Shoulder.”Sports Medicine Symposium of the Americas. May 11-12, 2007
- “Arthritis and ACL injuries, Cartilage Regeneration and Replacement Surgery.”
- Cincinnati Sports Medicine 2006 Advances in the Knee and Shoulder Conference. Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, May 2006
- “SLAP Lesions.” 42nd Annual Othopaedic Symposium, St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX. April 2006.
- “Anterior Tibialis Tendon Allograft ACL Reconstruction: A two-year clinical follow-up study, ACL Reconstruction Graft Selection: Patient concerns and priorities,Poster: Differences in ligament molecule compositions between males and females.” ACL Study Group. Hawaii. March 2006.
- “Meniscal Allograft Transplantation, Osteochandral Repair Advancements.” MTF: Bone Grafting Alternatives: Basic Science and Clinical Application. Houston, TX. February, 2006.
- “New Advances in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair.” Southwest Athletic Trainers Association, 51st Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposia. July 2005.
- “Acute Knee Ligament Injuries in Athletes.” Central Texas Sports Medicine Symposium. Austin, TX. June 2005.
- “Cartilage Regeneration and Replacement Surgery.”University of Cincinnati 20th Annual Advances in the Knee and Shoulder Conference. Hilton Head, SC. May 2005.
- “Experience with Anterior Cruciate Ligament Surgery – Indications and Techniques for STG.” University of Cincinnati 20th Annual Advances on the Knee and Shoulder Conference. Hilton Head, SC. May 2005.
- “Common Knee Injuries and MRI.” University of Kentucky Sports Medicine Symposium. May 2005. Lexington, KY.
- “Diagnosis and Treatment of SLAP Injuries.”University of Kentucky Sports Medicine Symposium. May 2005. Lexington, KY.
- “Septic Arthritis Following Arthroscopic Anterior, Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Retrospective Review and Evaluation of Long-term Outcomes.” ACL Study Group. June, 2004. Sardegna, Italy.
- “Etiology, Diagnosis and Treatment of Rotator Cuff Tears.” Johnson Space Center. January 2004. Houston, TX.
- “New Approaches to Cartilage Regrowth and Reconstruction.” Grand Rounds, University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston. October 2004. Houston, TX.
- “Revision ACL.” Grand Rounds, Northwestern School Of Medicine. June 2004. Chicago, IL.
- “Anterior Instability During Shoulder Disorders.” The American Orthopedic Society For Sports Medicine Conference. May 2003. San Francisco, CA.
- “Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair.” Arthrex Surgical Skills Training Courses. May 2003. Naples, Florida.
- “Soccer Injuries: ACL Reconstruction with patellar tendon graft; Why use the patellar Tendon Graft.” Acapulco Sports Clinic. May 2003.
- “Advance on the Knee and Shoulder.” Cincinnati Sportsmedicine Research & Education Foundation. June 2002. Cincinnati, Ohio.
- “Revision ACL surgery.” Edward T. Lectureship in Orthopaedics. Nov 2001. Houston, Texas.
- “Arthroscopic Intervention of the Throwing Shoulder: The Role of Thermal Energy.” College and High School Athlete Sports Medicine Conference Florence. July 2001. Kentucky, TN.
- “Advanced Surgical Treatment of Shoulder Instability, Rotator Cuff Tears, and Impingement Syndrome.” 2001 Arthrex Surgical Skills Training Courses. June 2001. Naples, Florida.
- “Injury to the Posterolateral Corner of the Knee.” The 18th Annual Conference on Innovations in Sports Medicine. June 2000. Galveston, Texas.
- “Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction-Patellar, Tendon vs. Hamstring Graft Procedures, Articular Cartilage Repair-OATS, Mosareplasty, Carticel Implantation,P-F Operative Techniques- Instability vs. Arthritis.” 1999 Knee and Shoulder Symposium. August 1999. Austin, TX.
- “Use and Abuse of Knee Braces in Sports.” The 17th Annual Conference on Innovations in Sports Medicine. June 1999. Galveston, Texas.
- Cincinnati Sports Medicine Knee and Shoulder Course. May 1999.Hilton Head, South Carolina.
- American Sports Medicine Institute 1999 Injuries in Baseball Course. January 1998. Birmingham, Alabama.
- “Shoulder Arthroscopy and the Impingement/Instability Continuum: Daignosis and Repair.” 1998 Arthroscopic Surgery Training Series, Baylor College of Medicine Department of Orthopedic Surgery. Program Directors: Walter R. Lowe, M.D., David M. Lintner M.D., August 1998. Houston, Texas.
- “Arthroscopically Assisted ACL Reconstruction Using a Hamstring Graft.” 1998 Arthroscopic Surgery Training Series, Baylor College of Medicine Department of Orthopedic Surgery. Program Directors: Walter R. Lowe, M.D., David M. Lintner, M.D. April 1998. Houston, Texas.
- “Anterior Instability and SLAP Lesions in the Throwing Athlete.” Edward T. Smith Orthopaedic Lectureship. November 1997. Houston, Texas.
- ”Diagnosis and Treatment of Sport-specific injuries to the knee. Knee and Shoulder Update ’97.” Current Issues in Sports Medicine, Baylor Sports Medicine Institute. October 1997. Houston, Texas.
- “ACL Surgical Options: Hamstring vs. Patellar Tendon Grafts, Current Concepts in Arthritis Prevention: (Meniscus Allograft. Articular Cartilage Re-growth).” September 1997. Austin, Texas.
- “An NFL Perspective.” American Academy of Sports Medicine and NFL Team Physicians. May 1997. San Francisco, California.
- “Arthroscopic Acromioplasty Long Term Results.” American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine, July 1992 Walter R. Lowe, M.D., James Tibona, M.D. San Diego, California. PUBLISHED: Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- “Biomechanical: EMG Analysis of Shoulder Muscles During the Curveball and Change-Up Pitches.” Walter R. Lowe, M.D., Frank Jobe, M.D., Marilyn Pink, M.D., Jacqueline Perry, M.D. Publication pending: American Journal of Sport Medicine
- “Clinical Factors Affecting Chymopapain Results in 102 Patients with Sciatica.” Texas Western Orthopaedic Society Meeting.Salado, Texas; September 1986. Walter R. Lowe, M.D., A.R. Terry, M.D. Submitted: Spine
- “Ipsilateral Concomitant Femoral Neck and Shaft Fractures. The Too Frequently Unrecognized Syndrome Continues.” Clinical Orthopaedic Society 74th Annual Meeting., Ft. Worth, Texas; October 1986 Walter R. Lowe, M.D., R.R. Protzman, M.D. Published: Orthopaedic Transactions 1987.